Barlow Keener, Senior Division Counsel, is a member of Womble Bond Dickinson’s GCSolutions and Communications, Technology & Media teams, where he brings more than 20 years of regulatory, transactional, and corporate law experience in the tech sector, with significant telecom, spectrum, Internet, and privacy law experience.
Barlow provides in-depth FCC regulatory analysis and transactional counsel for clients involved in investments in innovative FCC-related spectrum issues, satellite spectrum matters, terrestrial radio technologies, small cell technologies, long-haul fiber networks, and data centers. He has actively handled state regulatory proceedings and provided expert witness services and support in telecommunications administrative matters involving FCC classifications of telecom facilities, service quality failures, and 911 failures.
More generally, as part of the GCSolutions team, drawing on his years of experience advising both startups and established companies, Barlow handles transactional matters, trademark prosecutions, mediations, employment matters, mobile app issues, and privacy and cybersecurity compliance.
Prior to joining the firm, Barlow was an in-house attorney with a major incumbent telecommunications provider, general counsel for a mid-size media firm, and Co-Founder and CEO of an Internet Service Provider startup. He also has provided expert financial and valuation services in the telecom space, particularly involving wireless and spectrum matters, serving as a principal in a consulting firm focusing on the telecom, media, and satellite sectors.
Barlow is a CIPP/US (Certified Information Privacy Professional) in the IAPP, Certified Member, American Society of Appraisers (ASA), and a Lecturer at Boston College Carroll School of Management, teaching Privacy and Internet Law.
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), Certified Information Privacy Professional – US
- Certified Member, American Society of Appraisers (ASA)
- Co-Chair, Wireless Committee Member, Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Co-Steering Committee Member of the New England FCBA chapter
- Member, Forum on Communications Law, American Bar Association
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Member, Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Speaker, Cybersecurity Webinar, “The Zero Trust Access Approach: Leveling Up Multi-cloud and Hybrid IT Access and Aligning to Your Cybersecurity Programs,” The Knowledge Group, October 2020
- Organizer and Introduction, FCBA Wireless Committee: CLE Event: “Infrastructure Siting Update: The FCC, The Courts, and the Administration,” September 2020
- Speaker, CBRS Alliance, Valuation of CBRS 3.55-3.70 GHz Spectrum, February 2020
- Speaker, CBRS Alliance Members Meeting, “CBRS auction process and valuation issues,” January 2020
- Moderator and Organizer, FCBA CLE Program, “Exploring the C-Band: Policy Perspectives and Predictions,” December 2019
- Co-Author, The Spectrum Handbook 2018, Summit Ridge Group, LLC, October 2018
- Author, “The FCC Hacks into Mobile Privacy.” Internet Telephony Magazine, June 2016
- Author, “The New, New Spectrum: 3.5GHz.” Internet Telephony Magazine, August 2016
- Author, “Will Google’s MVNO Roll-Out Unlicensed-LTE in 3.5GHz?” TMCnet, April 2015
- Author, “Mobile Cybersecurity: A New Oxymoron.” TMCnet, January 2015
- Author, “Will 802.11af Wi-Fi Replace 802.11ac in the Home?” TMCnet, December 2014
- Author, “Groundbreaking FCC Action: Fallow Spectrum is Available for Use” TMCnet, September 2014
- Author, “TLPS: Newly Minted FCC Licensed Mobile Satellite Wi-Fi Spectrum” TMCnet, March 2014
- Author, “White Spaces and the TV Incentive Auction: It is Not Simple,” Internet Telephony, May 2013
- J.D., Emory University School of Law
- Co-Editor/Founder, Emory Journal of International Dispute Resolution
- Editor, Emory Bankruptcy Journal
- President, International Law Society
- Master of Arts, North Carolina Central University, American History
- B.A., University of the South, History British and European History
Admitted to Practice