Nick’s intellectual property practice focuses on patent and trade secret litigation. He has experience representing clients in both the International Trade Commission and United States District Courts, and has done work in a variety of technology areas, including network devices, semiconductors, converged devices, and LED lighting.
Prior to joining Mintz Levin, Nick completed judicial internships for Hon. Ralph D. Gants, Chief Justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, and Hon. Patti B. Saris, Chief Judge of the US District Court, District of Massachusetts. In these roles, he conducted legal research, prepared bench memoranda, and assisted in courtroom proceedings.
While attending law school, Nick served as Co-chair of the Intellectual Property Law Society and as a senior staff member of the Northeastern University Law Journal.
Inter Partes Review
- Victory at CAFC: PTAB Decision Reversed and Remanded – Represented Straight Path IP Group in successfully appealing to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (CAFC) the adverse result of an inter partes review handled by another firm. The IPR decision cancelled all challenged claims of Straight Path’s U.S. Patent No. 6,108,704. In the Straight Path IP Group, Inc. v. Sipnet EU SRO appeal, the CAFC for the first time completely reversed an adverse IPR decision, remanding the matter for further proceedings under the correct construction advocated by Mintz Levin and Straight Path.
- Defense of Multiple IPRs – Point-to-Point Communication Over Computer Networks – Currently representing Straight Path IP Group in the defense of seventeen inter partesreviews filed against three U.S. patents concerning technology for facilitating point-to-point communications over computer networks. Petitioners include Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.; Cisco Systems, Inc.; Avaya Inc.; LG Electronics, Inc.; Toshiba Corp.; VIZIO, Inc.; Verizon Communications, Inc.; and Hulu, LLC.
U.S. International Trade Commission
Certain Thermoplastic-Encapsulated Electric Motors, Components Thereof, and Products and Vehicles Containing Same (337-TA-1052) – Currently representing complainant in this ITC investigation, and in parallel Federal District Court cases.
- Certain Computing or Graphics Systems, Components Thereof, and Vehicles Containing Same (337-TA-984) – Represented complainant in this ITC investigation concerning graphics systems in automobiles, and in parallel Federal District Court cases. The Investigation instituted in February 2016 and was resolved prior to the evidentiary hearing.
- Certain Communications or Computing Devices and Components Thereof (337-TA-925) – Represented owner of portfolio of communications and computing patents from former enterprise communications business unit of large multinational innovation company. Investigation was instituted in August 2014 as to respondent entities Apple, Samsung Electronics, LG Electronics and HTC Corporation. Google participated as an intervenor. The investigation resolved prior to evidentiary hearing.
Federal District Court
- Straight Path IP Group, Inc. v. VIZIO, Inc. et al., 13-cv-00934 (E.D. Va.) – Currently representing plaintiff in a patent infringement case relating to smartphones, televisions, tablets, and related technology.
- Straight Path IP Group, Inc. v. BlackBerry Limited et al., 13-cv-00604 (E.D. Tex.) – Currently representing plaintiff in a patent infringement case relating to smartphones, televisions, tablets, and related technology.
- SecureNet Solutions Group, LLC v. Avigilon Corporation et al., 15-cv-01858 (E.D. Tex.) – Successfully represented defendant in patent litigation involving security camera systems.