Nicholas C. Adams focuses on commercial, restructuring, regulatory and securities litigation, and counsels corporations on privacy, cybersecurity, data breach and cross-border regulatory and compliance issues. He is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US, International Association of Privacy Professionals), and was named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers.
Practice & Background
Mr. Adams represents U.S. and international investment advisory clients, boards of directors and individuals in major bankruptcy adversary proceedings, class actions, white collar criminal investigations and antitrust matters. He has represented clients in a variety of industries, including investment funds, financial services, steel, cybersecurity, renewable energy and automotive, and has experience in mediation and binding arbitration before U.S. and foreign arbitral bodies.
Mr. Adams has provided pro bono representation to the State of New York in assessing its counter-terrorism preparedness, and has advised pro bono clients on criminal habeas petitions, and immigration matters before the Board of Immigration Appeals. He is involved with the firm’s anti-trafficking initiative, working with trafficking victims to secure legal status in cooperation with law enforcement.
Mr. Adams is also a member of the firm’s Technology Committee.
Mr. Adams received his B.A. magna cum laude in 2006 from Bowdoin College. Mr. Adams received his J.D. in 2009 from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was a senior editor on the Virginia Journal of Law and Technology. He also served on the University Board of Elections and as a Big Siblings community mentor.
- Representing Japanese and Singaporean banks in U.S. interbank offered rate class actions
- Representing litigation trustee asserting fraudulent conveyance and breach of fiduciary claims against thousands of defendants
- Advised board of directors of a national building supply corporation on litigation and enforcement risks in connection with their data privacy audit
- Defended former employee of major investment bank in DOJ criminal investigation into residential mortgage-backed securities
- Advised investment fund manager on cybersecurity threats to in-house and vendor information technology systems
- Defended hedge fund in CFTC investigation and civil class action alleging manipulation of platinum and palladium physical and futures markets
- Represented independent directors of large retailer in class action litigation alleging breaches of fiduciary duties in connection with labor and employment, accounting, and management practices
- Defended unfettered fund of funds in cooperation with SEC and criminal investigators alleging CDO and prime broker accounting fraud by third-party investment advisor
- Represented domestic subsidiary of international steel conglomerate in defense of antitrust action in California federal district court and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Defended former AIG CEO in securities and ERISA class action and opt-out litigation
- Represented renewable energy company in binding international arbitration regarding allegations of securities fraud in connection with the purchase and sale of wind projects abroad
- Defended private equity firm in putative class action alleging RICO conspiracy to misstate portfolio company liabilities via captive reinsurance transactions.
Awards & Accolades
- New York Rising Star, 2015-2016.