Mr. Man is a partner in K&L Gates’ investment management group. He represents investment advisers, closed-end funds (including exchange-traded closed-end funds, registered funds of hedge funds, and interval funds), alternative mutual funds, and private funds (including hedge funds and funds of one).
Mr. Man counsels clients on various regulatory, corporate, and transactional matters, including:
• Investment adviser registration under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940;
• Exemptions from, and regulation under, the Advisers Act, including the regulation of trading arrangements, solicitation arrangements, custody of client assets, and performance advertising and marketing;
• Development of compliance and risk management policies and procedures, including the development of procedures required by SEC regulation;
• Counseling with respect to private placement regimes, including Regulation D and Regulation S under the Securities Act of 1933 as well as Blue Sky compliance;
• Registered fund and private fund structuring, including drafting organizational and offering documents;
• Drafting and negotiating advisory and subadvisory agreements;
• Negotiation of service provider agreements, including with placement agents, administrators and custodians; and
• Negotiation of side letters with private fund investors.
During law school, Mr. Man interned for the Honorable Robert B. Collings of the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts. He was also the Editor-in-Chief of the Suffolk University Law Review. Mr. Man was a summer associate at K&L Gates in 2008.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Mr. Man served as a law clerk to the Honorable Scott L. Kafker of the Massachusetts Appeals Court. He also interned as a law clerk to the Honorable Judith Fabricant of the Business Litigation Session of the Massachusetts Superior Court.
J.D., Suffolk University School of Law, 2009 (magna cum laude)
B.A., University of Virginia, 2006
In 2018, Mr. Man was awarded “Rising Star” at the 25th Mutual Funds Industry Awards sponsored by Fund Industry Intelligence and Fund Director Intelligence. The “Rising Stars” were selected based on their accomplishments and contributions to the mutual fund industry in the areas of client service and product innovation that makes them stand out among their peers and position them as future leaders.
• “A Face-Lift for GIPS: CFA Institute Publishes Proposed Revisions to the GIPS Standards in the GIPS 2020 Exposure Draft”, Investment Management Alert, 3 October 2018
• “Getting the Deal Through: Fund Management 2018 – United States”, Law Business Research Ltd., August 2018
• “Be Careful What you Post – SEC Continues To Focus on the Use of Social Media by Investment Advisers”, U.S. Investment Management Alert, 17 July 2018
• “Calm Before the Storm: Investment Advisers Face Changes to the Advertising Rule, GIPS, and Performance Portability Standards”, U.S. Investment Management Alert, 23 May 2018
• “Amendments to Form ADV: Practical Considerations”, Investment Management Alert, 27 September 2017
• “Cross Border Master-Feeder Arrangements: SEC Staff Slightly Expands Utility of Offshore Feeders for Global Investment Management Firms, but Tax and Other Challenges Remain”, Investment Management Alert, 12 April 2017
• “SEC Staff Identifies Several Paths to “Inadvertent Custody” Under the Advisers Act Custody Rule”, Investment Management Alert, 1 March 2017
• “Circuit Court Affirms SEC’s Expanded Views on Backtested Performance”, Investment Management, Hedge Funds and Alternative Investments Alert, 17 August 2016
• “U.S. SEC Proposes Liquidity Risk Management Programs, Optional “Swing Pricing,” and Liquidity Reporting for Mutual Funds and Certain ETFs”, Investment Management, Hedge Fund and Alternative Investments Alert, 22 October 2015
Pablo Man (continued)
• “SEC Fines Alternative Mutual Fund Adviser for Improper Handling of Fund Assets”, Investment Management Alert, 19 February 2015
• “Wake-Up Call for Unregistered Solicitors and the Managers That Hire Them,” The Investment Lawyer, Vol. 20, No. 6 (June 2013)
• “K&L Gates Investment Management Update”, K&L Gates LLP, Spring 2011