Eric J. MogilnickiCovington & Burling LLP
Business Regulation & Regulated Industries
Combining his four years’ experience at the center of some of the nation’s most critical public policy debates as Chief of Staff to the late Senator Edward M. Kennedy, and his more than 20 years of experience advising and representing financial institutions, Eric Mogilnicki focuses his practice on assisting financial services clients with investigations, examinations and enforcement actions by government regulators, including the CFPB, FTC, OCC, and FDIC. Over the past six years, Eric has been a national leader within the private bar on CFPB enforcement and policy issues. His regulatory experience spans the lifecycle of interactions with agencies, including:
- counseling clients facing informal requests for information;
- providing financial institutions and other interested parties with product reviews, mock examinations and other guidance prior to the commencement of examinations;
- representing entities in responding to civil investigative demands, including Petitions to Withdraw the CID;
- negotiating Consent Orders; and
- assisting financial institutions in complying with Consent Orders.
Eric’s clients include major banks and credit card issuers, federal credit unions, and national financial trade associations. Eric also represents major corporations with financing subsidiaries that received CFPB scrutiny.
Eric is a past chair of the Federal and State Trade Practices and the Litigation and Arbitration Subcommittees of the American Bar Association Committee on Consumer Financial Services, a Member of the American College of Consumer Financial Service Lawyers. He frequently writes and speaks on regulatory issues.